Friend of Education - 2005
John C.S. Lau
President and Chief Executive Officer, Husky Energy Inc.
John Lau places a high value on the importance of education in building a better society. As the leader of one of Canada’s largest energy companies, Mr. Lau demonstrates his support for the advancement of education in both his personal and professional life.
CCAE is proud to announce that this year’s recipient of the Clearsight Wealth Management Friend of Education Award is Mr. John C.S. Lau.
Under Mr. Lau’s leadership, Husky Energy supports a wide variety of educational programs and initiatives across Canada, ranging from the sponsorship of academic chairs to the awarding of scholarships and bursaries to deserving high school students. Following are some examples of Husky’s support for education:
- Husky Energy is the founding sponsor of the Chair in Bituminous Materials at the University of Calgary. Husky’s $8 million commitment to the Chair is in addition to total contributions of more than $20 million to the University over the past 20 years.
- In June 2003, Husky created a $2 million endowment to establish the Husky Energy Chair in Oil and Gas Research at Memorial University in St. John’s, Newfoundland and Labrador.
- In October 2004, Husky gave $500,000 to the University of Ottawa to develop a boreal forest ecosystem in support of biodiversity research.
- Husky has a longstanding partnership with Calgary’s Western Canada High School, providing students with opportunities to become familiar with business technology and gain hands-on experience in the workplace.
Since joining Husky Energy more than a decade ago, Mr. Lau has also served the education sector in the following roles:
- Served on the Board of Governors of the University of Calgary for six years.
- Appointed as Guest Professor and Honourary Director of the Potential Gas Appraisal Centre at the University of Petroleum, Beijing, China.
- Appointed to the National Campaign Cabinet at the University of Ottawa, which is overseeing a $200-million fundraising campaign.
- Awarded an Honourary Doctorate of Laws degree from Memorial University in St. John’s, Newfoundland and Labrador.
- Named Honourary President of the Western Canada High School Alumni Association in Calgary, Alberta.