Associate Director, Advancement
Application Deadline :
Institution : University of Alberta
University of Alberta
EN Dean of Engineering
Associate Director, Advancement
Competition No. - A107438292
Closing Date - Will remain open until filled.
The Faculty of Engineering is looking for a relationship minded individual to join our team of dynamic, passionate and effective advancement professionals. Reporting to the Assistant Dean Advancement (ADA), the Associate Director, Advancement will be responsible for building relationships with individuals, corporations, associations, and foundations who are interested, able and willing to engage as supporters of the Faculty of Engineering.
The Associate Director works collaboratively with faculty leaders and members of the Engineering advancement team to build and advance strong personal and professional relationships that result in alumni engagement in Faculty of Engineering priorities and philanthropic contributions. The incumbent will manage a portfolio of approximately 150 prospective donors with the capacity to make commitments and gifts of $50K - $5M. As part of engaging with Faculty of Engineering supporters, the Associate Director will align donor interests with institutional and faculty priorities, develop funding proposals, and negotiate and structure complex gifts to the Faculty as part of our culture of philanthropy. The successful candidate will be comfortable interfacing with colleagues and senior executives across the institution, the Dean of Engineering, volunteers, stakeholders, and supporters. The incumbent will ensure proper stewarding of both supporter time and of all gifts.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Participating in strategy development and execution for faculty fundraising; working with the Dean of Engineering, the Assistant Dean, Advancement (ADA) and faculty-based leaders to develop appropriate fundraising priorities for the faculty
- Cultivating and nurturing a major donor/prospect portfolio of approximately 150 relationships; personally visiting major gift and planned gift prospects/donors regularly and as required
- Scheduling and planning travel as necessary to facilitate personal visits with top prospects and host events with the Faculty of Engineering
- Working with the Assistant Dean, Advancement to establish and evaluate annual fundraising targets and operational plans in a cooperative environment with colleagues from Communication and Alumni Relations in the Faculty
- Collaborating with the Faculty of Engineering’s Advancement team and the Office of Advancement on writing projects including cases for support, proposals and stewardship reports
- Contributing to the engagement between donors and faculty champions (academic leaders, student representatives from clubs, directors from specific units such as DiscoverE Science Camps, etc).
- Engaging faculty champions in strategic fundraising activities, including appropriate preparation and follow-up
- Collaborating with institutional faculty and central fundraisers to implement joint opportunities and address common challenges
Ideal candidates will:
- Possess an undergraduate degree from a recognized post-secondary institution; advanced degree is preferred
- Have five years' experience in major and/or planned gift fundraising with a track record of closing major gift and planned gifts of $50,000 and greater, preferably in higher education
- Have a proven ability to work both collaboratively and autonomously and to handle multiple accounts simultaneously
- Have a high level of integrity, the ability to extend and to earn trust, and a passion for working collaboratively and cooperatively with a wide range of people and cultures
- Have demonstrated experience in identifying new prospects and developing strategies for major gift and planned gift cultivation, solicitation and stewardship
- Demonstrated success in a complex research environment is highly desirable
- Possess strong interpersonal and communication (verbal and written) skills
- Possess exceptional creative, organizational, problem solving and critical thinking skills
- Have an interest in all aspects of education and a dedication to promoting the Faculty of Engineering and its fund raising priorities
- Maintain confidential information
- Have the ability to meet deadlines and juggle competing priorities in a high-paced environment
If you are an authentic leader with the right attitude, the Faculty of Engineering is looking for you. Along with your resume, please submit a cover letter that outlines why you believe you are the right person for this opportunity. Also, in your cover letter, please provide a detailed answer to the question:
"How will you contribute to a culture of trust, effectiveness and execution in the Faculty of Engineering?"
Applications received without a cover letter will not be considered. Applications received with a cover letter that does not specifically address these important items will also not be considered. We look forward to reading about you and your thoughts on how we can work together.
In exchange, you will have the opportunity for professional growth at one of the world’s top universities, the chance to work in a world-renowned, innovative and dynamic department, access to an outstanding Administrative and Professional Officer benefits package (benefits overview), and the ability to build your professional network with meaningful relationships within the U of A community. Additionally, all members of the Faculty of Engineering have the opportunity to participate in the Faculty’s staff learning and development program, which includes such offerings as The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People and Inspiring a Culture of Trust.
In accordance with the Administrative Professional Officer Agreement, this position offers a comprehensive benefits package, which can be viewed at Faculty & Staff Benefits and annual salary commensurate with experience and qualifications.
This position is located in the Faculty of Engineering on the 9th floor of the Donadeo Innovation Centre for Engineering on the University of Alberta North Campus, Edmonton, Alberta T6G 2R6.
Thank you for your interest in the Faculty of Engineering at the University of Alberta.
Interested applicants may apply to: https://www.careers.ualberta.ca/Competition/A107438292/
The University of Alberta is committed to an equitable, diverse, and inclusive workforce. We welcome applications from all qualified persons. We encourage women; First Nations, Métis and Inuit persons; members of visible minority groups; persons with disabilities; persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity and expression; and all those who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas and the University to apply.