Assistant Director, Advancement
Application Deadline :
Institution : University of Alberta
University of Alberta
EN Dean of Engineering
Assistant Director, Advancement
Competition No. - A107438293
Closing Date - Will remain open until filled.
The Faculty of Engineering is looking for a relationship builder to join our team of dynamic, passionate, and effective advancement professionals. Reporting to the Director, Advancement, the Assistant Director, Advancement (ADA) will be responsible for engaging prospective donors, alumni and friends to build support for the Faculty of Engineering.
The ADA works collaboratively with faculty leaders and members of the Engineering advancement team to build and advance strong personal and professional relationships that result in alumni engagement in Faculty of Engineering priorities and philanthropic contributions. The incumbent will manage a portfolio of approximately 150 prospective donors with the capacity to make commitments and gifts of up to $50K. As part of our culture of philanthropy, the ADA will align donor interests with institutional and faculty priorities, develop funding proposals, and negotiate and structure complex gifts to the Faculty. The successful candidate will be comfortable collaborating and communicating with colleagues and senior executives across the institution, the Dean of Engineering, volunteers, stakeholders, and supporters.
This position is located in the Faculty of Engineering in the Donadeo Innovation Centre for Engineering on the University of Alberta North Campus, Edmonton.
- Contributes to strategy development, annual fundraising targets, and operational plans
- Manages a portfolio of approximately 150 relationships with a current giving level of under $50,000
- Personally visits 150 gift prospects/donors annually
- Serves as fundraising lead for special projects
- Tracks, documents and communicates fundraising activity in the Advance database and shares information with colleagues
- Identifies and engages volunteers as advisors to the faculty fundraising strategies
- Supports the activity of the Engineering Advancement team, identifying potential major gift prospects and moving the relationship
- Works collaboratively with Central Advancement teams on gifts for the Faculty of Engineering
- Collaborates regularly with the Office of Advancement on prospect identification for faculty-based fundraising priorities
- Supports annual giving strategies for the faculty and works with the Office of Advancement to evaluate results
- Undergraduate degree in a related discipline
- Proven experience in frontline fundraising
- Ability to develop strategies for and implement annual gift solicitations; ability to work autonomously on a multitude of relationships, tasks, and areas simultaneously
- Knowledge of a variety of fundraising tools and strategies as well as experience with the giving cycle
- Ability to understand the needs and interest of donors and to transform alliances into relationships
- Dedication to promoting the university's fundraising priorities through a passion for higher education
- Superb interpersonal, written, and verbal communications skills
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines in a fast-paced, rapidly changing environment
- Committed to being an outstanding, contributing, interdependent team member with a high degree of initiative and resourcefulness
- Excellent problem solving abilities, judgement, and discretion
- Ability and willingness to travel
If you are an authentic leader with the right attitude, the Faculty of Engineering is looking for you. Along with your resume, please submit a cover letter that outlines why you believe you are the right person for this opportunity. Also, in your cover letter, please provide a detailed answer to the question:
"How will you contribute to a culture of trust, effectiveness and execution in the Faculty of Engineering?"
Applications received without a cover letter will not be considered. Applications received with a cover letter that does not specifically address these important items will also not be considered. We look forward to reading about you and your thoughts on how we can work together.
In exchange, you will have the opportunity for professional growth at one of the world’s top universities, the chance to work in a world-renowned, innovative and dynamic department, access to an outstanding Administrative and Professional Officer benefits package ( ), and the ability to build your professional network with meaningful relationships within the U of A community. Additionally, all members of the Faculty of Engineering have the opportunity to participate in the Faculty’s staff learning and development program, which includes such offerings as The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People and Inspiring a Culture of Trust.
In accordance with the Administrative Professional Officer Agreement, this position offers a comprehensive benefits package, which can be viewed atand annual salary commensurate with experience and qualifications.
This position is located in the Faculty of Engineering on the 9th floor of the Donadeo Innovation Centre for Engineering on the University of Alberta North Campus, Edmonton, Alberta T6G 2R6.
Thank you for your interest in the Faculty of Engineering at the University of Alberta.
Interested applicants may apply to:
The University of Alberta is committed to an equitable, diverse, and inclusive workforce. We welcome applications from all qualified persons. We encourage women; First Nations, Métis and Inuit persons; members of visible minority groups; persons with disabilities; persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity and expression; and all those who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas and the University to apply.