Alumni Relations Officer - Mount Royal University
Application Deadline : 2020-02-24
Institution : Mount Royal University
Founded in 1910 and located in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, Mount Royal University grew into a vibrant college in the 1930s and became a mid-sized university in 2009. Mount Royal has carved out a distinct niche by offering smaller class sizes, a robust liberal education and unique undergraduate programs. Currently, more than 14,000 credit students choose from 12 bachelor degrees and 36 majors.
Mount Royal University is located in the traditional territories of the Niitsitapi (Blackfoot) and the people of the Treaty 7 region in southern Alberta, which includes the Siksika, the Piikani, the Kainai, the Tsuut'ina and the Iyarhe Nakoda. We are situated on land where the Bow River meets the Elbow River. The traditional Blackfoot name of this place is "Mohkinstsis," which we now call the city of Calgary. The city of Calgary is also home to the Métis Nation.
About the Department of Alumni Relations
Mount Royal’s history dates back more than 100 years and our transition to a university brings with it unique and exciting alumni relations program opportunities. The Alumni Relations office will ensure that our 105,000+ alumni are engaged with their alma mater through mutually rewarding relationships, and will play a major role in realizing the many bold goals contained in Mount Royal’s strategic plan.
About the Role
You will own and develop the vision for a critical component of our alumni engagement strategy – providing meaningful and mutually beneficial volunteering opportunities to MRU alumni.
Using market research, audience segmentation and industry best practices you’ll develop a multi-year plan.
You will build relationships and work closely with alumni individuals and groups, as well as many campus partners, to create or increase access to a wide range of volunteering opportunities.
You will lead a collaborative effort across the institution to track, report on and measure the impact of alumni volunteering on student success and campus life.
The Alumni Relations Officer is one of four core marketing and communications professionals within the Alumni Relations team reporting to the Director, Alumni Relations. This is your chance to join a dynamic, fun and talented team who are committed to transforming alumni engagement at MRU.
If you seek the challenge and opportunity of building high-value, impactful stakeholder engagement programming for an institution whose vision, values and performance resonate among students, faculty, employees, alumni and in the community, you belong here. This opportunity will be ideal for a strategic thinker who is confident and resourceful. Vision, persistence and initiative will be the hallmarks of your success.
This is a full time limited term position ending February 28, 2022.
· Build and sustain strong relationships with alumni individuals, groups and networks and collaborate with them to facilitate alumni-led engagement activity
· Develop an alumni volunteer engagement multi-year plan (strategic recruitment, screening, onboarding, training and stewardship) and work collaboratively with campus partners to see through its implementation
· Develop and implement a strategy for alumni communities of interest/affinity groups
· Work closely with the alumni communications and programming leads to curate and recruit alumni as content providers and subject matter experts
· Support the Director of Alumni Relations in stewarding key alumni leaders, including Alumni Council members
· Contribute to the increased recognition of MRU alumni, including coordinating the Alumni Achievement Awards nominations and selection process and seeking out other recognition opportunities
· Research, write and edit content for print and online publications and social channels
· Utilize database to track and monitor calls, contacts, solicitations and key alumni and partner relationships
· Post-secondary degree in a relevant discipline
· Minimum five years of combined experience in one or more of the following: marketing and communications, community relations, nonprofit management, donor relations, stakeholder engagement.
· Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
· Exceptional relationship-building skills and the ability to work effectively with internal and external stakeholders and clients
· Strong ability to self-direct work, manage complex projects and set and meet key deadlines
· Previous alumni relations experience within a post-secondary institution is considered an asset
· High degree of comfort adopting new technology platforms and project management tools
What We Offer
Talented and committed employees are the driving force behind student success. We strive to be an employer of choice among Canadian post-secondary institutions.
At Mount Royal University, we recognize that people are a combination of many intersecting identities; we work to cultivate an environment that welcomes the whole person, and harnesses the strength that is available in our diversity, creating a rich and inclusive workplace.
Investing in the learning and development of our employees benefits the individual and the University. A variety of services, resources and programs encourage a healthy, productive workplace. Mount Royal University offers a competitive total compensation package including health and dental benefits, pension, health and personal spending accounts, paid vacation, Christmas leave, personal days and a free membership in our fully equipped recreation centre.
Our campus offers the convenience of a full medical clinic, dentist and pharmacy, as well as a variety of wellness services such as physiotherapists and massage therapists. Campus Recreation offers many activities, including personal training, fitness classes, climbing, aquatics, sports, tournaments and certifications for students, employees and the public.