Policy Analyst - Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, and Indigeneity Evaluation - Queen's University
Application Deadline : 2021-12-01
Institution : Queen's University
Reporting to the Director and Associate Secretary of the University, and receiving direction from the University Secretary, the Policy Analyst - Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, and Indigeneity Evaluation (Policy Analyst) is responsible for leading a coordinated and supportive process to review all policies approved by the university’s Board of Trustees and Senate through an Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, and Indigeneity (EDII) lens. The Policy Analyst will work cooperatively with units across the institution to ensure all governance policies are reviewed, redrafted, and approved in alignment with the institution’s EDII goals and best practices in the field. The incumbent is responsible for all aspects of the work and will plan, coordinate, execute, and evaluate all tasks necessary for completion by attending meetings, conducting research, and providing advice and expertise to the Secretariat and other university staff, as well as members of the university’s governing bodies and committees. The Policy Analyst is responsible for updating the University-Wide Policy Library as required, ensuring its accessibility per relevant legislation and regulations, such as the Access for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. The Policy Analyst may delegate work to other members of the office as needed.
· Develops a project work plan for each portion of the project, including milestones and deadlines, that aligns with the annual calendars of the governing bodies and office workflows, and monitors progress toward desired outcomes.
· Plans, prioritizes, and manages resources required to complete project, ensuring project remains on schedule and within the identified budget.
· Assumes responsibility for all project (e.g. logistics, reservations, bookings) and conformance of such to project plans and resource allocations.
· Serves as the primary point of contact for assigned projects including liaising with other senior executive offices, members of the governing bodies, and others as required.
· Ensures appropriate project records are kept in accordance with departmental retention schedules.
· Coordinates the evaluation of projects and makes recommendations to inform future projects.
· Plans, develops and produces budget proposals related to special projects and initiatives, and ensures the accuracy and validity of financial transactions related to projects and initiatives.
· Remains familiar with relevant documents and strategic plans, including the final report of Queen’s Truth and Reconciliation Task Force, EDII Annual Reports, and the university’s Strategic Framework.
· Develops and fosters relationships with key campus units, including the Human Rights and Equity Office and the Office of Indigenous Initiatives.
· Conducts qualitative and quantitative research to inform projects, which may require liaising with other universities, historical research, etc.
· Analyzes data and completes statistical analyses, identifying trends and anomalies, and synthesizes it into easily understood reports for use by governing bodies, senior administration, and others as required.
· Facilitates stakeholder consultation activities as needed including administering surveys, planning and executing town hall meetings, using social media, etc. and uses results of such to increase support for the project.
· Attends meetings, provides advice, and answers questions of university staff and governing body/committee members. Provides executive and administrative support to advisory committees and/or task forces that may be involved in the project and its related initiatives including setting meeting agendas in consultation with the chair, producing meeting materials, drafting minutes, and coordinating follow up activities.
· Drafts reports, complex correspondence, briefing materials, and other documents associated with project for a range of audiences.
· Prepares presentations and speaking notes for Secretariat staff and members of the governing bodies when required.
· Undertakes other duties as required in support of the offices of the University Secretariat and Legal Counsel.
· Undergraduate degree in a relevant field. Graduate or professional degree in a relevant field considered an asset.
· Several years of experience coordinating complex projects from conception to completion.
· Ability to independently manage discreet projects within a larger, cyclical work environment.
· Familiarity with the decentralized university environment and its constituency groups.
· Demonstrated ability to write for a variety of purposes including report writing, speaking notes, presentations, and complex correspondence.
· Ability to interact with all levels of faculty, staff, students, and members of the governing bodies with tact and diplomacy.
· Knowledge and experience in researching equity, diversity, accessibility and inclusion resources and best practices relevant to the role and unit operations to inform evidence-based planning.
· Knowledge of university procedures, policies, and regulations, and how they impact on the functioning of the University Secretariat.
· Ability to interpret policies and apply them to diverse scenarios.
· Experience supporting committees or senior governance bodies such as a Board of Directors or equivalent considered an asset.
· Consideration may be given to an equivalent combination of education and experience.
· Sound judgement, discretion, and the ability to make decisions independently when dealing with confidential and sensitive materials.
· Strong qualitative and quantitative research skills and problem-solving skills honed through researching and analyzing complex problems involving multiple relationships and interactions, where information is incomplete, missing or ambiguous, with the ability to pull diverse information together into a proposal that provides possible solutions.
· Strong technical and computer skills including experience with WebPublish, presentation software, teleconference/videoconferencing tools, survey software, and social media. Proficient in MS Office applications, databases, Qualtrics, and the ability to learn new software programs as required.
· Demonstrated creativity and initiative for solving complex problems.
· Strong written and verbal communication skills for a variety of purposes and diverse audiences.
· Is familiar with and applies best practices in diversity and inclusion practices, strategies, systems, policies, and is a role model for inclusive and culturally competent behaviour.
· Strong editorial judgement and the ability to become conversant in core concepts and terminology related to the work of the governing bodies.
· Change champion with sound project management, organizational and planning skills, and the ability to prioritize the competing demands of equally important initiatives while working on many complex issues at the same time.
· Prioritizes diverse responsibilities, many of which require urgent attention.
· Determines solutions to unanticipated problems within guidelines and decide whether complexity of the problems warrant the involvement of senior staff.
· Determines what advice to provide to committee chairs and members and University personnel regarding policies and best practices for university governance.
· Recommends new procedures, and changes to existing procedures, to positively impact the unit’s operation.
· Ability to synthesize information from a wide variety of sources quickly and accurately seeking assistance from senior staff only when required.
· Delegates work to staff and organize work to make efficient progress towards goals.
· Coordinates information flows and determines how best to present or report on the information at hand.
· Determine communications content and the appropriate format of correspondence, reports, and proposals.
· Determine appropriate research approach and relevant information to include in reports and briefings.
· Develop project plans to effectively support committees and working groups and to implement projects.
· Decide how to proceed and who to work with for each project or initiative.
· Decide on work prioritization and time-management.
APPLICANTS PLEASE FOLLOW THE LINK BELOW: