Planned Giving All in a Day - June 9, 2015
Planned Giving All in a Day - A CCAE – CAGP Partnered Workshop (CFRE Points - 6 points )
Workshop Presenting Partner: Industrial Alliance Insurance and Financial Services Inc.
CCAE, in partnership with CAGP (Canadian Association of Gift Planners) offers a unique, one-day Workshop tailored to development staff at Canadian educational institutions who are new to gift planning.
Based on CAGP’s one-day, introductory course, All in a Day, and revised for CCAE’s core membership in educational advancement, this workshop provides a sample of the benefits and features of a gift-planning program. It is designed to help participants determine how best to explore this area with donors and prospects.
With CCAE as Canada’s premier professional development provider in advancement, and CAGP-ACPDP™ as Canada’s foremost educator in charitable gift planning, this Workshop is a must-attend for Development staff who seek a basic understanding of gift planning in educational institutions.
Planned Giving 101 for Development Officers provides a great ‘first step’ into a truly donor-centered approach that can enhance any fundraising program.
The seasoned faculty features powerhouse presenters:
- Paul Nazareth, Vice President of Community Engagement, Canada Helps
- Michelle Osborne, CFRE, Executive Director, Gift Planning, University of Toronto
Workshop learning objectives:
- To gain a basic understanding of the most common gift-planning vehicles in Canada (gifts donors make during their lifetime or through their estate).
- To learn about the latest philanthropic trends in Canada, particularly in educational advancement.
- To gain an increased level of comfort and confidence in raising and discussing various gift options with donors, professional advisors, or other charity colleagues and volunteers.
- To understand and be able to explain to donors the basic concepts of tax and timing issues relating to donations.
- To be part of a stimulating, challenging and informative learning experience.
- To increase participants’ network of gift planning colleagues.
Topics will include:
- Current Trends & Basic Tax Information
- Gift Planning Vehicles and their tax treatment, benefits to donors, receipting and administration requirements
- Marketing Across the Gift Planning Cycle
- Ethical Considerations
- Starting & Managing Your Gift Planning Program (including the small shop model)
- Working with Professional Advisors
Register on the National Conference registration page.
Michelle Osborne, CFRE
Executive Director, Gift Planning, University of Toronto
Michelle joined the University of Toronto in August 2007, where she is responsible for the overall U of T gift planning program. Having worked for the Royal Ontario Museum Governors and SickKids Foundation, her focus has always been in the area of strategic philanthropy.
A long-time member of the Canadian Association of Gift Planners’, Michelle has worked on various committees at both the local and national level including chair of the National Conference Program Committee for the last six (6) years.
Paul Nazareth, Vice President of Community Engagement, Canada Helps
Paul has spent fourteen years empowering Canadians to support their most beloved charities. As Vice President of Community Engagement with Canada Helps Paul works with thousands of charities as they endeavour to work with their donors to change the world. Most recently working in the financial sector as a philanthropic advisor with Scotiabank, Paul previously spent 11 years with charities like the University of Toronto and the Catholic Church of Greater Toronto. Paul teaches the Planned Giving course with the postgraduate fundraising program at Georgian College, is Chair of the Advisory Committee at the Humber College postgraduate fundraising program and a national instructor with CAGP. Paul speaks nationally on the topics of social media for business and social-profit, networking and career development. Find him online at http://about.me/paulnazareth or Twitter at @UinvitedU